Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Expectations

Gap Between Expectations and Experiences May Affect Women's Ability to Adapt to Early Labor

"The women tended to have very defined expectations of the performance aspects (i.e., what to do) in early labor but were more uncertain about what labor would feel like. This disconnect meant that women had to readjust and reappraise their expectations as early labor set in. "

"Husbands, family members, friends and doulas played important roles in supporting the women as they made decisions about their labors and managed the sensations they were experiencing. "

"This small study suggests that women spend energy and time in early labor sorting out their expectations, devising new plans, managing mixed emotions, and second guessing decisions. Providing women with strategies to anticipate and deal with gaps between expectations and experiences may help them adapt better to early labor and have confidence in their management strategies. "

How do you feel this applies to your own early labor?

With my first, I was given hours of mild labor to slowly adapt. I don't recall mixed emotions or second guessing myself, but I do believe it had alot to do with the way labor played out.

With my second, in that same period of early labor, I DID second guess myself. I remembered how it felt once it really got going and wondering if I was crazy for doing it again. I spent quite awhile sorting it all out in my mind.

What labor feels like would be an interesting discussion as well! It can be very hard to describe. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

2 comments:

J Matt Miller said...

Hi Sarah, I enjoyed your new blog... As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time these days thinking about the upcoming birth of baby #5. It is amazing to me that I have given birth 4 times and yet there is still so much mystery surrounding another birth. I do anticipate it though. I love Garrets birth story and would love to experience something like that... ~Diana

rcsnickers said...

well let's see.... with my first I thought early labor was a breeze. Then the contractions really started when I got to the hospital and wondered if I could really make it naturally. I prayed and prayed or begged God to help me! I have always thought of making a birthday cake during early labor but when early labor comes I am in too much pain to make anything. so, am I answering the question? I guess my expectations were way off for what and how early labor really feels for me.

How would I describe labor? My answer now would be: painful, exciting, overwhelming, joyful. Ask me this question in the middle of my next labor and see how I answer then.... I mean that. That would be interesting. :)

Letisha